Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Eternal Young "Adults" Embarking on Our Golden Years.

Recently I had someone ask me if I felt more "boring" now that I'm married. It seemed like such a preposterous question that I snorted...out loud. After the initial shock wore off I really thought about why I found this question so absurd, because most people would probably agree that life after marriage gets a little more secure, steady and predictable. Mainly because that primal need to go out and hunt down a partner has gone away and as a couple you begin to become gatherers as opposed to hunters.

Before marriage, I lived in Brooklyn with my BF of 11 years. We mostly spent Friday nights in cooking dinner, watching a movie and me drinking a bottle of wine while John polished off a 3 pack (6 if he was feeling like partying). He would tell me about what went on during Morning Joe that week and I would catch him on who got eliminated on America's Next Top Model. We'd both spend 30 minutes ranting about our work week and then whoever didn't cook would clean. The only surprises were if John upgraded his Coors Lite with Brooklyn Pilsner then I knew there would be something special on the menu. Saturdays we'd wake up late (*sidenote) for those young'ens reading this post late for us in our mid thirties means past 9:00 am. we'd have some breakfast, go to the gym, putz around the garden, eat some lunch, go for a walk around Williamsburg then dinner and cocktails with friends....you get the picture. Our life was the complete opposite of LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem. But it was nice and I loved every minute of it. John and I had spent a good part of our early to mid 2o's traveling, living in squalor, and tackling adventures all over Asia and it felt nice to be grounded to turn New York from an experience into a true home in every sense of the word.

Then we got engaged and John decided to take a new job....in Taiwan, and from that moment on I would say our quaint little lives were anything but "boring." From the moment the vows were exchanged I would very safely say that I've been back out there "hunting"....take it easy, it's not what you think. I've been hunting for an apartment, for a job, hunting for new friends, hunting down even a screwdriver in Taipei (that was the hunt this morning) because I recently learned that Ikea DOES deliver furniture WITHOUT all the necessary tools. Our lives have been lived, these last 4 1/2 months out of a suitcase, traveling by trains, planes and automobiles and sleeping ----------->
literally on floors, sofa's, and guests rooms. (That's John taking a quick nap on some cardboard boxes).

All in all I feel that those couples who have hit their "golden years" who have worked hard, raised their children, retired and have decided to get back out there and "see the world" and lead a new and exciting life.

The only difference is we're still both working very hard, we have yet to raise anything except for a few plants in our backyard in Brooklyn, and so far we've seen a whole lot of rain here in Taipei. What is true is the idea of having our golden years be now, in our 30's. While one friend asked if married life was boring, I had another friend email this line to me...

"And I LOVE this idea of young couples moving afar to live their lives (forever or for a while). Travel to far away places isn't for the 20-somethings whose brains don't yet understand fear. It's for the 30-somethings that feel the fear and trepidation of making such a large move and do it anyway!" - (*thank you Bree)

People have told me that my college years would be the best adventure, or that married life would be the best adventure, some have even told me that having children would be the best adventure and to all those who have that one adventure you hold onto I can only say that so far my entire life has been one adventure and being married and doing it just means I have someone to come home and tell these ridiculous stories to!

2 comments: