Monday, April 23, 2012

Sun Moon Lake 日月潭

Apologies for not having been updating on the adventures of the wedded wanderlusts.  As some of you know this half of the wedded wanderlust recently started a new job that has kept me busy, busy, busy. After months of searching and turning down terrible offer after terrible offer I finally found one that I am hoping will work out.


But before I started we went with John's company on a company outing to Sun Moon Lake located right dab in the center of Taiwan near Taichung. We woke at the crack of dawn and took the high speed rail for 50 minutes and then a bus for another hour and a half and we arrived to a beautiful lake. John even upgraded our room to one facing the street to one that faced the lake (good job hubbs).
 We left rainy Taipei and arrived to a beautiful and sunny resort town.  We got a few hours to walk around before we had to have lunch with his company so we took advantage of the first sunny day in weeks since we moved to Taiwan and walked around. One of the first things we noticed was the lack of swimmers on the lake. If it were in the States there would be swimmers, jet skis and such littered throughout the lake. We decided to practice our Mandarin and ask a local why there were no swimmers. After giving us a "WTF" look he said, "it's too dangerous. How would they get out there?" in which we responded, "well they would take the boat out" to which he responded, "too dangerous. the lake is too big." I started laughing, because we had to explain to him that the boats would not actually leave the people once they drop them off but would actually wait there for the swimmers to finish before taking them back.
After walking around for a bit, we met up with the rest of the company to have lunch. We were told it was a local restaurant with all local food so we were super excited until we got there. The presentation was impeccable as shown by the photo of fried fish in a bamboo boat. But the taste left much to be desired.
I saw Don stop and smell the roses

The afternoon was super fun.  We were taking a boat tour to many of the surrounding islands at Sun Moon Lake. While we waited for the boat to arrive I saw many things.
I saw what appeared to be the worst outfit EVER.
That night we had a wonderful dinner and while everyone else went to bed after dinner, John and I ordered a bottle of of Sauvignon Blanc, sat out on the deck and had a great night.
The next morning we took this long walk around the lake until we reached the gondola. The best is John is so scared of heights he ended up hitching a ride with someone else and I ended up riding up the mountain with his co workers.

It ended up being super scary but an awesome view from the top.

This is to prove that I was actually there. We headed to an aboriginal village where we

ate some delicious sticky rice baked in bamboo


Saw some aboriginal skulls
And were offered to purchase a penis ashtray in which we declined
But the best part of the weekend came when I got so excited when I saw this little photo op with a tiny head that I ran up to it...put my head in the hold and got straight up smacked in the face so hard that I cut my lip. For a split second there was no sound from me or John and then he bursted out laughing and took this photo...All in all a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment